This evening RK and I went to a program about play, creativity, learning, art, etc. - presented Pecha Kucha style.
What is Pecha Kucha you ask? First, it's pronounced in a couple different ways ("peh-cha-ku-cha" or "pe-chak-cha"). Either way, it's a fast-paced format for making powerpoint presentations - ultimately making the presentation more fun, quick, and keeps people from reading their slides! (YAY!!!) For more info - here's the Wikipedia definition.
Presenters each show 20 images on 20 different slides for 20 seconds each. No words or bullet points or anything. Then, the presenter talks over the images and are done in 6 minutes 40 seconds! It was a real fast-paced way to learn lots of different topics and see lots of different exciting projects.
I will definitely incorporate this into my PPT style. In fact I think I will use this method for a portion of my California Library Association presentation in October and want to adapt it to use at our next in-service. This is great for the audience because it keeps the presentation moving and keeps the energy up. The good thing is - even if the presentation sucks, it's done in 6 mins 40 secs!
I think this would make for a great teen program or adult program - perhaps out in the Courtyard. I am sure there is a lot of creativity out there that we could harness into an exciting Pecha Kucha Night (there are 190 participating Pecha Kucha countries)! Of course - I might have to adapt this into something that will work for me and call it something else like Micha Pucha (well, maybe not - that sounds too much like Machu Picchu)
Michelle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Whoa, this is weird. We're using Pecha Kucha for our Eureka presentations next week. I was just looking at that wikipedia entry last night. Robert will be there so he can evaluate the true Pecha Kuchaness of the presentations. It is an interesting idea though and I love not having to read or be read to off a bunch of boring PPT slides.
ReplyDeleteWhen Pecha Kucha is done right, it really is like poetry or jazz in that the speaker is in a rhythm with the photos that are being shown. (When it isn't done right, the presentation is badly disjointed. But like Michelle said, the one good thing is that the presentation is over in 6 minutes).
ReplyDeletePreparation and practice really is essential with Pecha Kucha (assuming one wants to do it right). I know that I am going to try and incorporate Pecha Kucha into my CLA program on the remodel, and the next time I have some presentation for a Board, I may give it a shot!
RK
How many times have we sat through powerpoint presentations where the presenter read WORD for WORD what was on the screen?
ReplyDeleteI've never seen a Pecha Kucha presentation, but it sounds like a great way to keep an audience's attention.
I think we incorporate some of the Pecha Kucha techniques during the Valentine's storytime in Celebration Hall. Pictures from the book were on screen in synch with the storyteller's presentation.
ReplyDeletePecha Kucha in Rancho Cucamonga? I love it.
ReplyDeleteThe more I think about it, the more I'm worried about Pecha Kucha. It sounds like the presenter needs to be really well rehearsed and the "verbosity" must be kept to a minimum. Both of these things can be trouble spots for me. :)
ReplyDeletesounds great! would like to experience it.
ReplyDeleteI don't believe I've seen a Pecha Kucha presentation - now I'm curious whether this format could be incorporated into the beginning of a tech class...
ReplyDelete